It's no secret that as we age, our wants and needs change, especially around the home. Currently, as the American baby boomer generation ages, we're seeing a trend in active adult housing becoming more important, as well as becoming a more profitable segment of the housing market.
Active adults want more light in more unique homes that offer a more flexible living space. And we want to help you deliver this (and more) to your customers.
The Facts of Aging
The facts of aging aren't always easy to face, but they are important to know, especially when building homes for active adults. When it comes to health, there is no "typical" older person, but in general, our physical needs and limitations do change as we age. But believe it or not, several recent studies show specific ways that regular exposure to natural daylight can lessen some of the effects of aging. And some go on to say daylight can have a positive effect on the health of active adults and seniors.
The Desires of Baby Boomers
For the most part, baby boomers and active adults are synonymous terms. Understanding their generation's wants and needs, as well as goals, expectations, and values is key to understanding how to sell to the active adult community. Ultimately, seniors are likely to buy a new house, have the money to do it, and the group as a whole is growing quickly. But keep these active adult facts in mind as well:
- The aging population is a substantial market. If US residents 65+ were a country, they'd be the 13th largest in the world. There were 58 million retirees in 2003 and there are 116 million retirees projected for 2020.
- Boomers tend to have a more active post-retirement life than previous generations. A new career, new degree, and adoption are all projected for many active adults. As they live longer and are healthier, the opportunity to do more is essential to their housing choices.
- 77% of the nation's wealth is controlled by those who are 50 years or older. But, of those, the top 25% have a median annual income of $100K, while the bottom 25% have a median income of $10K.
- While previous generations have moved South or West after retiring, people are now projected to stay at home in their later years. 52% plan to move closer to family.
- 77% of seniors have expressed the desire for a maintenance-free lifestyle, including maintenance-free yards, appliances, and other home products.
VELUX Products Relevant to Active Adults
For over 75 years, VELUX has been refining our product line to make the best skylights, roof windows, and sun tunnels available. Over time, it's become apparent that some of our products are more beneficial for certain clients than others. Below is a list of skylights we feel active adults and retirees would benefit most from:
- VELUX Sun Tunnel® Skylights: Sun tunnels are great for bringing light into small, closed spaces like laundry rooms, closets, and second baths. And unlike electric lighting, they provide natural daylight, which has shown to help aging eyes see more clearly and without glare. Sun tunnels are also virtually maintenance-free and can be installed with the Solar Night Light to provide light 24/7.
- VELUX Electric "Fresh Air" Skylights: Electric "Fresh Air" Skylights are one of our more popular products for active adults. It's easily operated by remote control and features a rain sensor to automatically close the skylight at the first sign of rain.
- VELUX Solar Powered "Fresh Air" Skylights: With all of the benefits of our electric venting skylight, our solar-powered skylights are an energy efficient alternative. Also powered by the push of a button, our solar-powered skylights don't require wiring, which allows for simpler installation.
- VELUX ACTIVE with NETATMO: VELUX ACTIVE eliminates the need for a remote altogether as it allows the skylight to connect to the homeowner's smartphone. It's also compatible with Apple HomeKit, so homeowners can control their skylight with voice control.
Active adults are America's fastest-growing customer segment. And we want to help you deliver the perfect home to your active adult customers. Check out our VELUX training specifically for building for active adults to learn more.